Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Per chance


He was sitting outside the casualty ward office. We exchanged some polite swahili greetings. He asked in English if I was a Father, not the first time I'd been asked the same question. "Not in the way you ask, " I replied.
So we talked for a little while. He was there to get steroids injected into overactive scar tissue on his chest wall suffered in an unspecified injury. He said the injections were helping.
He is in Mwanza on scholarship to university studying sociology. This education is to help him in his work in the community with refugees from Burundi, Rwanda and the DRC.
Turns out I reminded him of an Englishman who worked an office near his home village. When I shared that I was actually from the U.S, he said he'd visited Orlando.
He said how real some of the creations in Disneyworld seemed. This after inviting me to the park near his village where work is conducted with chimpanzees.
He was in Orlando to attend some kind of global conference of young people that do refugee work. His intention is to work for Peace.
Today he gave me some hope.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Steve,
I hope you know that you were being talked about this evening at our Global Missions meeting. I'm sorry that you feel you haven't accomplished much so far but do you realize how much you've accomplished here. You have given us the hope, especially me, to know that I can make a difference. Results are not always what or where we think they would appear. Sorry we're going to miss getting to see you when our group travels to Kenya but looking forward to seeing and hearing from you when you come home this summer. Also, one of your heroes was in town this week speaking to a large group of CMS high school students-Paul Farmer. Hope he touched a few more lives. Peace be with you.